Reporter's Notebook

Friday, June 10, 2005

2005 Vacation Review

Below I have posted pictures from this year's vacation. I visited Washington, D.C.

Now I know in the past I've visited obscure places like Alaska and South Dakota. D.C. is certainly not obscure, a lot of people go there every year on vacation and business.

But how I went there is certainly obscure. I made a day trip. I did the whole thing in a 14 hour period.

My flight left Huntsville at 7 in the morning. I got into D.C. around 9:45 EDT. I caught a ride on the Washington Flyer bus. It took me from Dulles to the West Falls Church, Virginia Metro Station. I got on the Metro and rode the Orange line to Metro Center. There I switched over to the Red line and made my way to the Smithsonian Station.

I got off the Metro and went right up on to the Mall. I made my way over to the Smithsonian Museum of American History. (I went to the Air and Space Museum last year. The Space and Rocket Center is much better.) I spent an hour or so inside. Then I ate a hotdog from a street vendor. Too salty.

Then I made the long walk(it seemed long in the 97 degree Heat Index weather) to the World War Two Memorial. I had never seen it. It's a very nice tribute to the veterans of WW2. You should go see it sometime.

I then spent some time walking to see the White House. You can't get that close anymore. After that, I jumped back on the Metro and went to Union Station. There I ate some junk food. I bought a pin for Photographer Brad Hood. I get him one from every place I visit. He puts them on his camera.

I sat there for a while cooling off, then it was time to start making my way back to Dulles. So on the Metro I go. Back to Metro Center where I caught the Orange Line back to West Falls Church. There I caught the Washington Flyer back out to Dulles. At Dulles I waited in the longest security line ever. ( I really like Huntsville International) I was early, so I wandered around Concourses A and B. I watched people get on flights to France and London. I watched a couple of "Valley Girls" run in a mad dash out of the bar(I wasn't in the bar) to catch their Jet Blue flight to Long Beach. I ate at Burger King.

At 7pm EDT, I was getting back on board the Independence CRJ to fly back to Huntsville. At 8:25 Central time, the wheels hit the runway in Huntsville. At 8:48, I was leaving the parking deck.

Trains, Planes and Automobiles; more than a thousands miles; many Washington sites and all in one day. I'm tired.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger AmAnDa said…

    I am tired just reading it. How was Logan's?

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Carson Clark said…

    How was Logan's? Do you mean the restaurant? I've actually never eaten at Logan's.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Carson Clark said…

    Yep, went all by myself. My favorite place for steak is Longhorn.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger AmAnDa said…

    Sorry I accidently pasted the wrong thing. But you really should try Logan's

     

Post a Comment

<< Home