Reporter's Notebook

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Shuttle Launch

The shuttle is supposed to launch today. I'm not holding my breath. Maybe it will be a go, but the weather usually likes to get in the way at least on the first try.

I was thinking about the Challenger and Columbia accidents. During Challenger I was in the 3rd grade. We were home from school that morning because of snow. I actually watched the launch on 19, because I remember the Price is Right being broken into for coverage.

I was in the 6th grade, when Discovery got us back into space in September of 1988. I remember the launch guy saying, "And liftoff, liftoff of Discovery and America's return to space."

During Columbia I was doing live shots from our Kids Count Expo at the VBC. I was with our news director Kevin Osgood looking at the helicopter, when Brad Hood comes running over and says, "the space shuttle is missing." I'll never forget those words.

Now Discovery is doing it again. Hopefully this will be the last time America has to return to space after a long break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home