Reporter's Notebook

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Longest Day

Brian Covington has updated his blog, http://www.whnt.com/Global/Link.asp?L=160944 , with his best picks of 2005.

One of his picks was our trip to Savannah back in January to welcome home the troops of the 279th signal battalion. At the moment I write this, that was longest I've ever gone without sleep covering a news story.

It began at 5am one morning, when I just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. At 5pm that afternoon I found out we'd be going down to Fort Stewart. We drove all night, never going to sleep, to be live in the morning show, live at noon, live at 4:30, live at 5, live at 6 and a taped story at 10. It finally ended at around 9pm that night, after 39 hours without sleep.
Below are some of the pictures from Savannah, including one of Brian and photographer Dave Schmidt standing out looking at what had to be the biggest ship I've ever seen.


2 Comments:

  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger OUWxGirl said…

    I went 48 hours once without sleep at OU. I hope to never do that again.

    Nice story and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the "management" that sent you without sleep is now having sleepless nights wondering were his next job will be. But I have been there. And they didn't appreciate your hard work either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home