Reporter's Notebook

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Gustav

Long time no blog.

I got back from New Orleans tonight around 8pm. It was quite an experience. Not only did Brad Hood, Brian Covington and I do work for NewsChannel 19, but we also did live shots for Fox 6 in Birmingham and WGNO in New Orleans. That was quite an experience. When I left Sunday morning, I thought I was headed to Gulfport, Ms. But by the time Sunday night rolled around, I was live on the air in New Orleans doing live shots about a city I had never been to before. From what everyone told me, you couldn't tell.

We stayed at the Astor Crown Plaza, which is on the corner of Bourbon and Canal Streets. It was a nice hotel. While Gustav wasn't Katrina, there was one thing that reminded me of what it must have been like after Katrina. The hotel had hired armed guards to protect the place. We had taken a lot of food and water with us. Turns out we didn't need it. The hotel kitchen staff stayed behind and cooked us three meals a day.

The hotel became the headquarters for us and our affiliated stations, including WBRC Fox 6, WHO from Iowa and several other stations. Also at our hotel was Fox News, The Weather Channel and CBN. I saw Geraldo Rivera, Katie Couric, Sheppard Smith, Mike Bettes and a bunch of other Fox reporters who I've seen on TV, but haven't seen enough to remember their names.

It's good to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home