Reporter's Notebook

Friday, June 03, 2005

Vacation Review Part 3-The One That Never Was

So I've been to Alaska and South Dakota. How did I choose these spots? Well, I like to go to places that aren't the usual vacation spots. The beach is nice, but it's more a place you go for a couple of days, not a week.

But I actually can't take credit for choosing the locations. That goes to Brad Hood. Every spring I throw out the question: "where should I go on vacation this year?" He will sit there for a second and finally throw out "Alaska," etc.

The first year I worked in the bureau back in 2001, I did the same thing. Brad's first choice was probably the most unique. He thought for a minute and then said of all place, "Connecticut!"
A strange destination, but I said I'd try to go where he picked. There's not much to do there. But I planned to go see Mark Twain's home and drive up to Massachusetts to the Basketball Hall of Fame.

I bought the plane ticket, I booked the hotel room and I reserved the rental car. There was just one problem. My flight left on Saturday, September 16th, 2001. I guess you can now see why this was the trip that never was. My flight got canceled and besides, I wasn't in much of a vacation mood. It still makes me mad that those 19 moron terrorists stopped me from going to Connecticut. One day I plan to finish that trip.

So where am I going next week? Stay tuned and prepare to be under-whelmed.


Edit to the Above: When I talk about the terrorists ruining my vacation, I don't want anyone to think that's the only reason I was upset about 9-11. I was just giving an example of how it impacted me directly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home