Reporter's Notebook

Monday, March 28, 2005

My Run-in with Goober

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm doing sports today. Monday is always a tough one. There's really not much going on in sports on Mondays. Sure there's some NBA, but people in North Alabama don't put much of their time into covering professional basketball. So it always comes down to a recap day of things that went on during the weekend. I'll probably update Jerry, Amy, Jay, Jason Marks and my standings in our NCAA brackets. Not too good I would imagine.

So in my posting yesterday I promised to tell a sports related story, that involved George "Goober" Lindsey. It was back in the fall of 1995. I was working for the University of Alabama Football team. My job pretty much required me to shoot practice during the week, then just help some on gamedays. During the game itself, I would just stand on the sidelines and watch the game.

Well, I believe it was homecoming. George Lindsey was making an appearance before the game as Goober. During the game, he was standing on the sidelines, just like me, watching. Well I decided it was my chance to go up and just hello to the man. So I walk up, stick out my hand and do just that. He gives me this annoyed look, but does reach out and shake my hand. I'll tell you, it's one of those moments when you instantly realize that was a mistake.

A couple of years later, George Lindsey writes his autobiography called "Goober in a Nutshell." I'm reading through it and come to a section where he talks about people coming up to him and saying hello. He says in the book it really annoys me when I'm at some sort of an event and someone comes up and sticks out their hand an interrupts what I'm doing. I don't remember the exact way in which he said it. But I just have this feeling that while he was writing that, he was picturing a 19-year-old kid in a white University of Alabama shirt, khaki shorts and a UA baseball cap sticking their hand out.

Although, if you're wearing the Goober costume, complete with a tire pressure gauge in your pocket, doesn't' that kind of open you up to people saying hello?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home