Reporter's Notebook

Friday, July 08, 2005

Gulf Coast, Here We Come

So this afternoon, Tom Woodard, James-Paul and myself, will be headed for Orange Beach, Alabama. As most people start streaming out of that area, we will be streaming in.

This will be the first hurricane I've covered from the coast. While it's exciting, there are some concerns. Besides the hurricane itself, which is more than enough to be worried about, there are smaller things. One, is gas. As all of these people head out, gas becomes short on supply. So I would hate for us to get down there and not be able to get gas anywhere.

We are also going without a photographer. Tom and I will take turns being a photographer for each other and JP. Two reporters fumbling around with cameras; this should be fun.

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express which is right on the beach. So at some point during our coverage I've got to work in something like, "I'm not a hurricane expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." Oh, that's bad.

Dan briefed me on covering a hurricane. He said, if it's a Cat two or below you should be fine staying there at the beach. But if it's a Cat 3 or above, the storm surge will come in at least 15 feet high and you will drown. Thanks for the comforting words Dan.

So there won't be any updates to the blog for awhile. I'll see you on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home