Reporter's Notebook

Friday, April 29, 2005

On the Menu for Today

First, I suggest you read Jeff's blog today. http://www.whnt.com/Global/Link.asp?L=152991

Jeff is being kind when he doesn't tell you what the story was or what station ran it. However, I will say this, the website it was stolen from was
www.thesmokinggun.com

To me uncovering a story doesn't mean you ran across it on someone else's website. It also doesn't mean you got it from making a routine call to the police department. You also don't uncover something when a viewer calls you about a story. Uncovering a story means you actually put some effort into it yourself. You went and dug through files. Uncovering is when you get a tip and then you pound the pavement to see if there is anything to it. Not when it's handed your way on a silver platter.


Today we are going down to Gadsden. Former judge Roy Moore will be moving his Ten Commandments display to his home church. So we will be there to cover it. I wonder who else will be there? I assume some Birmingham stations will be there.

I talked about how the Fox News Alerts were getting on my nerves. Well, CNN does something that I don't like as well. The other day they had a graphic on the screen that said, "New Developments." Below that it said, "Police to Expand Search" Seeing as how I was just tuning in, what was that supposed to mean to me? They do that a lot. You will have no idea what's going on and the graphic doesn't help.

We are supposed to deal in information, not vagueness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home